Friday, March 4, 2011

::Flash Back Friday::

Today I had a photo shoot and then as a family we did some running around and basically just spent the day together. It was nice. What made is nice is that our children were well behaved, for the most part. I couldn’t help but really enjoy my son and little man he is becoming. At times it is hard for me to believe he is three. I have found myself going through old blog post remembering what him and I use to do day to day. As I was going through them I found the pictures during the time he had to wear his helmet. Yes, I said helmet.  Logan was born with Torticollis (is a twisted neck in which the head is tipped to one side, while the chin is turned to the other.) We are pretty sure he got this because he was so big and there was no room for him inside of me which meant he stayed in one position a lot causing one side of his neck muscles to be stronger than the other. This is something I didn’t notice or realize until he was around four months old and had a very lop-sided head, When brought up to the doctor it was pushed aside until he was seven months old and I saw another doctor who said it was a problem that need to be addressed quickly. This resulted in him having to wear a helmet for four months to try and correct his lop-sided head. When I knew he had to wear a helmet and after our fist fitting I was devastated. I thought “why my child” “why me”. I also became very defensive of Logan because in the end all I wanted to do was protect him, I didn’t want anyone to stare at him, or judge him. I took this news, this new life of a helmet really hard. Once he had it for a while and we all got use to the idea it became nothing. It became normal to us, it became no big deal, which is why I look back and laugh at myself. Why did I get so stressed out over something that wasn’t permanent nor hard!!

I tend to do this often. I over analyze things and stress myself out over nothing. I am the queen of trying to change things I have no control over. These are traits of myself I wish I could put in the “give back bin” and get something better, something easier, something way more fun. But, it is what it is and all I can do is work on becoming a better person, and handling my “bad traits” in a better, less stressful way.

My boy had grown so much in the last three years and I  am super proud to be called his Mama. Plus, you would never know he was the kid that had to wear a helmet.

Oct.08_1820

Pumpkin Patch_1894  08220810041

And… one of my favorite pictures of my Papa he is sitting with Logan wearing that wonderful helmet!

DSC_0766_1847

Here is the medical term for what Logan had:

Plagiocephaly is a type of cephalic disorder. Plagiocephaly is a condition characterized by an asymmetrical distortion (flattening of one side) of the skull. It is a common finding at birth and may be the result of a restrictive intrauterine environment. If there is premature union of skull bones, this is more properly called craniosynostosis. The unusual head shape in plagiocephaly is caused by pressure in the womb giving a "diamond" shaped head when seen from above. In pronounced cases there may be flattening of one side of the chest as well. As the child's head grows rapidly after birth, this visible inequality nearly always gets much less marked as the first year progresses.

P1020274_1522

P1020277_1525

The reason I like to think this post is a flashback is because it reminds me of a time when I thought things were really bad, but in actuality they really weren’t  bad at all. Sometimes we need these flashbacks in life to remember, no matter what, we will be ok.

Have a great weekend everyone.

 

*** Update.. Logan came in as this post was loading and asked “is that Logan?” I replied yes, that is my Logan,and then he has if the helmet was because he rode a motorcycle or a coaster ride?? hahaha.

1 comment:

TAloha19 said...

My son, Landon, also had to wear a helmet for the same reason. I was always so protective and upset when people would stare at him... but now he's a happy and healthy 4 year old and you would never be able to tell he had to go through that!